Friday, July 27, 2012

We're in business again- D5 Chapter 3

So sorry for the long delay- life and technology have both conspired to prevent me from posting until now!  For some reason the page editor would not load.  Rather than crying over the keyboard I spent the summer working hard on having fun and recharging for those kiddos that I know are out there waiting to meet their first grade teacher.


It wasn't all fun and games though.  I got a look at my new room.  Let's just say the news wasn't good :(  The room was FULL of stuff.  Every single cabinet was jam packed with...  um...  stuff.  There were binders with PD notes dating back to 1997, old games with missing pieces, plastic plates, cups, dried out glue sticks, and fake money literally everywhere I looked.  Cleaning it up and out was a daunting task.  I found three copies of the reading curriculum TEs for this grade level, countless books, bins, and trash.  Not to mention the fact that everything I touched was filthy- even the walls were gross.  After three days of cleaning, tossing, re-homing, and replacing I was left with a small mountain of treasures: books, books, and more books, games, manipulatives, bins, baskets, and organizers, empty binders, posters, and loads of paper.  Then, I did what any good teacher would do: I crammed it all in the closet and went out to enjoy my summer vacation!!  


I went back in this week after a month of not thinking about it and found that I left myself with a blank canvas.  The room had been cleaned by our wonderful custodial staff and looked better than I remembered- YEA!!  After 2 days of leveling books and putting together furniture the room is starting to take shape :)   I didn't want to do too much until I re-read chapter 3 or D5 so I could be sure to include the important elements of the program.  There is nothing worse than finishing a beautiful bulletin board only to realize that it is in the wrong place!  So I am holding off on doing much with the walls and focusing on setting up the library, manipulatives, and cabinets for now.


But for now, it is time to catch up on D5.  So without further ado, here are my thoughts on


Chapter 3 of the Daily Five

Let me start out by saying, this chapter is by far my favorite in the whole book.  In fact, I would say it is one of, if not THE, best things I have read to improve my teaching practice.  If you are only going to read a single chapter in the book make it this one!  I feel like this is the missing handbook on how to teach!  You can adapt these lessons to just about any subject and it will help students to develop independence in their learning.

Establishing a gathering place: 

I gave a lot of thought to this one.  I remember back in my first year of teaching thinking to myself that the kids wouldn't even notice the stables embedded in the carpet.  Needless to say, I was mistaken about that!  Knowing what I know now, I chose a spot with as few distractions as possible.  It is under one of the two windows and right as you enter the room.  I feel like this gives it a place of importance in the room and shows that our community comes first.  I moved the library away from the area so that kids would be encouraged to focus on the group.  

I loved what the sisters wrote about brain and body breaks- and I intend to keep using a technique that has worked in the past:  I give the kids a style of walking when coming to the group or leaving.  For example, we might walk like crabs, in slow motion, like a heard of buffalo,in  silent mode, or any other silly variation.  

Good Fit Books:

I absolutely love this lesson plan!  I have used it in the past and found that it worked really well.  The only problems that came up were when I didn't refer back to the anchor lesson as the year went on.  I know that if I make a habit of referring to this lesson that it will really stick with the kids as the year moves on and beyond.  Nothing could be more important than making a great choice when it comes to books.

 Setting Up Book Boxes:

Another great idea.  I think I am going to call on a sewer friend of mine and see about making pockets for the backs of the chairs.  That will keep the classroom less cluttered and the books always at hand.  I just need to choose a fabric!  

Anchor Charts:

This one poses a bit of a conundrum.  I lack the wall space to keep too much up on the walls and I hate a cluttered and busy looking room.  I like the idea of keeping the charts on the Promethean Board, but I am not sure how that will help them build the muscle and spatial learning of having a chart up on the wall.  This is one that I need to spend some time thinking about.

Short Intervals of Repeated Practice:

OMG!!!  I love this section so much that I can't even describe how much I love it!  I love the concept of just outright telling the kids that we are working on building stamina, and spelling out the correct and incorrect behaviors.  I love that they get lots of chances to practice, but no opportunity to practice the wrong skills.  I  also love the idea that kids are giving their very best on a given day- that there is no blame if a session does not go as planned.  What a compassionate view of the learner!


Signals and Check-In

I use a Tibetan Singing Bowl for my signal.  It has a beautiful ring to it and a great deal of meaning for me.  It was a gift from my dad who knows how much I love unique and special things from far away places.  I have used it every year since my first year of teaching.  The children are fascinated by the sound and it is a great lead in to a discussion of different cultures.  

Check-In

I know I am gushing, but I love the idea that the children shouldn't give themselves a thumbs down. I think it is vital to teach kids to reflect on their performance of a task and this is a great way to begin getting them to think about and evaluate their behaviors.

Correct/Incorrect Model

If there is a teacher out there who didn't laugh a little mischievous laugh on reading this section, let me be the first to say, "You are a better person than I am!"  Giving that one kid a chance to act up and be silly is a great release for the pressure of those first days, but having that same child demonstrate that they are indeed capable of that correct behavior is a wonderful opportunity to help a child redefine themselves as a good role model.  But I have to admit, I think about a few of my former students and chuckle at the memory of this lesson!


Take a few minutes to see what our Book Study Host  has to say about this week's topic :)  


Enjoy these last summer days- they are going by way too fast!!




1 comment: